The main objective of the Europe foe Citizens Programme is to bring Europe closer to its citizens and to enable them to participate fully in the European construction. Through this programme, citizens have the opportunity to be involved in transnational exchanges and cooperation activities, contributing to developing a sense of belonging to common European ideals and encouraging the process of European integration.
- giving citizens the opportunity to interact and participate in constructing an ever closer
Europe, which is democratic and world-oriented, united in and enriched through its cultural
diversity, thus developing citizenship of the European Union;
- developing a sense of European identity, based on common values, history and culture;
- fostering a sense of ownership of the European Union among its citizens;
- enhancing tolerance and mutual understanding between European citizens respecting
and promoting cultural and linguistic diversity, while contributing to intercultural dialogue.
- bringing together people from local communities across Europe to share and exchange experiences, opinions and values, to learn from history and to build for the future;
- fostering action, debate and reflection related to European citizenship and democracy, shared values, common history and culture through cooperation within civil society
organisations at European level;
- bringing Europe closer to its citizens by promoting Europe's values and achievements, while preserving the memory of its past;
- encouraging interaction between citizens and civil society organisations from all participating countries, contributing to intercultural dialogue and bringing to the fore both
Europe's diversity and unity, with particular attention to activities aimed at developing closer ties between citizens from Member States of the European Union as constituted on 30 April 2004 and those from Member States which have acceded since that date.
The Programme supports four main types of actions:
- Action 1 - Active Citizens for Europe: involving citizens either through activities linked to town-twinning or through other kinds of citizens' projects.
- Action 2 - Active civil society in Europe: targeted to civil society organisations either through structural support on the basis of their European level work programme or through support to projects.
- Action 3 - Together for Europe: including high visibility events, studies and information tools.
- Action 4 - Active European Remembrance: support to projects aiming at preserving the sites and archives associated with de deportations as well as the commemorating of victims of Nazism and Stalinism.
More information is available on the official site of the Europe for Citizens Programme: http://eacea.ec.europa.eu/europe-for-citizens_en